« Home | One of those weekends... » | Royalty...Christmas » | SMILE!!!!!!! » | Take my Hand » | It's beginning to look a lot like... » | So all will know... » | Chiang Khong » | Recharge » | A reminder of the task before us... » | What? » 

Saturday, December 01, 2007 

Loy Kratong


One of the floats in the parade in Lopburi

Well I shared with you in my previous entry that last weekend was pretty crazy.
Well on that same weekend we also had Loy Kratong, so traffic was horrible as to be expected. This is a Holiday where the Thais thank the River goddess for bringing life to Thailand through the water. On this holiday they will make these little and large Kratongs to float down the river. Most of them are made out of biodegradable materials so they won't pollute the water. They have incense, candles and most of the time money. Even though they are encouraged to use biodegradable materials I still got a bunch of nails stuck in my shoe. No worries I stopped walking before they went into my foot. It's kind of funny, just down stream I saw the kids swimming in the water collecting the money from the Kratongs. In Bangkok I even saw the kids right in front of everyone just pulling out the money, and the funny thing is everyone was OK with that. To add to the craziness of the day, right after our last class on that Saturday we were heading to Shiloh for lunch. (OMF place we meet twice a week for meals and updates) On the way there, Bob and Chris were in a motorcycle accident. Praise God, they are OK, but a little sore. The people who hit them have visited them many times since then and God is doing a work through that too! (Last night we were able to pray with these people and thank God for his protection. The cool thing is that they were OK with this.)
After going to the police station and hospital that Saturday, I went to the third day of the funeral. (in previous blog)
Right after the funeral I had to catch a van to Bangkok to meet up with a fellow who will be doing the fireworks for the Christmas celebration at TLC church in Chonburi. This fellow had invited me to join him on the barge where all the fireworks were going to be launched from for Loy Kratong. Unfortunately because I was waiting at the wrong side of the Hotel, I missed being on the barge. Thankfully I was still able to get a good spot to see the show. After the firework show we met up and went over some of the details.Fireworks in Bangkok



This is the year of the rat, so that is why these rats are pulling the cart.
This fellow tried to sell me a bird to set free to bring me good luck (after you set it free it flies back to his house and he sells it again to some tourist.)