« Home | Centipede...May dii (Not Good) » | Life is short... » | Penang Malaysia... » | Lopburi... » | My new home with Plants and Critters... » | The last while » | Another Nephew » | Grace » | THAILAND » | Waiting in Taiwan » 

Saturday, September 01, 2007 

Mother's Day in Thailand

A few weeks ago, we had Mothers Day here in Thailand (The Queens Birthday as well as the day to celebrate ones Mother). You know the day is fast approaching when you start to see pictures of the Queen being put up all over Thailand. It's an amazing day, and the people of Thailand really celebrate! The streets are decorated with lights, flags and banners in celebration of this day.
On top of celebrating the Queens Birthday, this is also a day to celebrate ones own Mother. Thai people will travel great distances to be with their mothers on this special day. To thank them for being their Mom. They are truly greatful to the Queen and to their own mothers.

I was able to spend Mothers Day in Bangkok and get a glimpse into how this nation honors their Queen, the Mother of the Nation.
There was a huge celebration that took place most of the day in Bangkok, in a field near the Grand Palace. I got there just in time for the best part, the FIREWORKS! For those of you who don't know me that well, I love fireworks. Give me something that goes boom, and I am happy. Anyways, getting back to the celebration. Before the fireworks, I believe I heard the King speak to the crowd followed by the Queen. I was led to believe this because as soon as these speeches began, everyone stood at attention in respect to whoever it was that was speaking. Following these speeches, all the people lit candles and sang the National Anthem of Thailand. It was amazing to see how much these people love their Queen (The Mother of the Nation).

After the fireworks, three separate concerts broke out in the same field where the fireworks had just taken place. I could actually watch three concerts at a time, (if I had a mirror with me). They were all really loud and at times you couldn't even tell which one was playing what. One stage had traditional Thai dancing on it, the second stage had a full orchestra playing and the third stage had a rock band. It's like they were all competing to see who could be the loudest and celebrate the most! Only in Thailand...but it sure was good.

After I saw this, I started to think about how important my Mother is to me. Sure there isn't a whole nation that will celebrate my Mom Birthday or remember her on Mothers Day, but there is a family that loves her very very much, and strives to let her know how much they really love her on top of those two special days a year.
Before I left Canada to come to Thailand, I was able to do a short road trip with my Mom to Penticton and Salmon Arm, BC to visit some friends before I left. It was so good, and I really enjoyed this time with my Mom. God has blessed me so much with a Mother that has always encouraged me in all my crazy adventures. She never gave up on me and for that I believe I owe a great deal of gratitude to my Mom. Love you Mom!
A few years ago I came across a group called Il Divo. They sang a song called "Mama".

This song I thought summarized really well what my Mom has been to me...


Mama

[Verse 1]
Mama thank you for who I am
Thank you for all the things I'm not
Forgive me for the words unsaid
For the times
I forgot

[Verse 2]
Mama remember all my life
You showed me love,You sacrificed
Think of those young and early days
How I've changed
along the way

[Bridge]
And I know you believed
And I know you had dreams
And I'm sorry it took all this time to see
That I am where I am because of your truth
I miss you, I miss you

[Verse 3]
Mama forgive the times you cried
Forgive me for not making right
All of the storms I may have caused
And I've been wrong
Dry your eyes

[Bridge]
And I know you believed
And I know you had dreams
And I'm sorry it took all this time to see
That I am where I am because of your truth
I miss you, I miss you

[Verse 4]
Mama I hope this makes you smile
I hope you're happy with my life
At peace with every choice I made
How I've changed
Along the way
And I know you believed in all of my dreams
And I owe it all to you, Mama